OBAMA’S IMMIGRATION PLAN
On November 20th, at 8pm, President Obama summarized key points of the executive action plan for immigration. While he did not elaborate on the specific details on timing or implementation and the Republicans are gearing up to reverse the Order, we believe these critical details will be revealed over the next few months. President Obama spoke of three key areas:
- Increasing border security,
- Streamlining the process for highly skilled immigrants to stay in the country, and
- Providing temporary relief for some 5 million immigrants illegally in the US.
The parents must also meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Been living in the U.S. for more than 5 years & currently be in the U.S.
- have children who are U.S. citizens or are lawful permanent residents.
- must make application/register through an immigration process
- Go through a criminal and backround check, and
- Must pay taxes
- President Obama was clear that no recent entrants would qualify nor would his order apply to any new entrants. The full details of his plan are still forthcoming.