Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
DACA is a temporary protection to individuals who came to the US with their parents as children and who violated the US immigration laws through no fault of their own. Often called “Dreamers”, these individuals benefit from temporary protection against removal and are given a status called “Deferred Action” which prevents the US from removing them absent an affirmative act by the individual to divest themselves of DACA protection, or at the behest of the US government. While President Trump promised to repeal DACA, to date, he has not done so making this valuable protection available to qualifying individuals.
Attorney Barbara-Ann Williams and her team of legal professionals has helped obtain DACA for people both in and out of immigration deportation proceedings.
DACA is available to individuals who meet the following criteria:
Guidelines for DACA
Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor,or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
Anyone requesting DACA must have been under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012. You must also be at least 15 years or older to request DACA, unless you are currently in removal proceedings or have a final removal or voluntary departure order.
To learn if you qualify and apply for this valuable protection, contact our office to today.